Social Justice Activists and Filmmakers! Call for Submissions Deadline Now Extended to June 29th!
The Call for Submissions deadline is now extended through June 29, 2018, at 6:00 PM (Pacific Time).
The NAACP and Ford have partnered to present the 2018 “Cinematic Shorts Competition” during the 109th NAACP Annual Convention in San Antonio, Texas.
This exciting competition will give THREE young filmmakers the opportunity to tell their stories of Social Justice and Civic Engagement with a chance to win a $7,500 budget to produce an extended version of their short. This dynamic competition is in line with FORD founder Henry Ford’s legacy of ‘moving humanity forward’. It also supports the ongoing work of The NAACP’s Hollywood Bureau and Civic Engagement programs within the NAACP and its Strategic Plan: Game Changers for the 21st Century Initiative.
- Must be between the ages of 18-29
- Must submit one creative sample (video/pictures/artwork) that demonstrates skill set and interests
- Must submit one written statement between 250-300 words on why voting & social justice advocacy is important
- Must provide own transportation and housing in the San Antonio area from July 13-July 19th
Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center
900 E. Market Street |San Antonio, TX 78205
Three filmmakers/activists will be selected to be part of the competition. Each filmmaker will be given video equipment and work under the guidance of a producer-mentor to produce a 5-7 minute short film during the NAACP convention. The short films can be narrative, documentary, or avant garde, and will center around answering one of the following questions:
- Why is it important for people of color to vote in ALL elections?
- What’s an effective way to increase the number of people of color registered to vote?
- Why does the Census matter to communities of color?
Participating filmmakers will present their finished short films during the 109th NAACP Annual Convention and convention attendees will vote on their favorite film.
The filmmaker with the most votes will receive a $7,500 budget (in total) to produce an extended version of their short film. All filmmakers will receive an iPad.
HOW TO ENTER
To enter, click the following link to complete and submit your application by June 22, 2018: https://form.jotform.com/NHBureau/cinematic-shorts-competition